- Definition of illicit drugs
- Causes of Illicit drugs
- How to Identify a drug addict
- Effect of drug addiction
- Dealing with stress
- Dealing with depression
- Dealing with peer pressure
- Drug addiction assessment -steps to take etc.
THEME: Drug Abuse and Its Prevention
VENUE: Merit House, Maitama
DATE: 23rd June, 2021
The workshop on drug abuse and prevention was organized by PRIME UNIQUE WOMEN INITIATIVE (PUWI) in collaboration with NATIONAL DRUG LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY (NDLEA)
The workshop was aimed at achieving the following:-
- Sensitizing and addressing drug abuse and prevention in secondary school
- Educating the school managers on the effects of drug abuse on the students
The workshop was targeted on the students through the school managers (Train the Trainee program)
The workshop commenced with a welcome address herald by the convener and President of Prime Unique Women Initiative DR.MRS FOLAKE YOBAH FIMC,CMC. She welcomed all the participants and gave a keynote address and expressed her gratitude to SSEB and NDLEA for their contribution in making the workshop a success
In attendance, were representatives of 27 schools from AMAC, also MRS OLA OLANIYAN, the Assistant Director and Head of Unit of Secondary Education Board,2 representatives from National Drug Law Enforcement Agency Mrs. Christy Ighekpe, Deputy Commander,(Drug and Narcotics)Mrs. Akinola Grace,(Deputy Commander Drug and Narcotics) and 2 members of the press. In total 38 participants.
The workshop was rich in content as the resource persons rolled out the following topic:-
- Security and Safety Tips: MR CLEMENT NSE, Executive Director, Sky High Security Safety and Skills Limited, a resource person. He bothered on many issues addressing security and safety in our society, he also gave explanatory and impactful training on how security has become the order of the day, he said gone are the days where security was solely the responsibility of the law enforcement agency but one of a collective responsibility. His lecture was basically on security tips.
- Harmful Effect of Drug Abuse: The lecture was delivered by Mrs. Christy Ighekpe, Deputy Commander NDLEA, she explains what constitutes drug abuse and how to avoid falling victim. She further listed dangerous and hard drugs (which include: AMPHATAMINE, BENZODIAZEPINES, TOBACO, CIGGARETTES, HEROINE, MARIJUANA and many more.) and the effect it has on victims.
- PUWI Profile: Miss Abigail, the Program officer of Prime Unique Women Initiative, enlightened the participants on what the NGO is all about, the aims, objectives and vision of the organization, the programs they have done and the future programmes
- Counseling and Psychotherapy Approach to Drug Abuse Cessation: Akinola Grace (NDLEA)analyze the approaches and methods that can be use to address drug abuse and how to remedy victims involved in drug abuse.
The Convener and President of Prime Unique Women Initiative DR.MRS FOLAKE YOBAH, MRS OLA OLANIYAN, the Assistant Director and Head of Unit of Secondary Education Board and Mrs. Christy Ighekpe, Deputy Commander NDLEA gave out certificate to all participant present for the programme.
The sensitization and training programme became necessary against the backdrop of the rising spate of crimes and criminality across many part of the country which is often linked to drug abuse.
The workshop was intended to further boost the concerted efforts of the national drug and law enforcement agency in sensitizing and addressing drug abuse and prevention in secondary school. There was a dire need to train school managers on drugs abuse, the implications, effect and preventive measures. It addresses the dangers involves in being a victim of drug abuse and the best prevention and solution to the danger is abstinence.
The outcome of the workshop was the creation of an alumni group for all participants to further mentor and observe proceedings thereafter.
Special thanks to following schools in AMAC Area Council.
- SECONDARY EDUCATION BOARD (SEB)
- NATIONAL DRUG AND LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY (NDLEA)
- GSS GOSA
- GSS LUGBE
- GSS KUCHINGORO
- GSS TUNDUWADA
- GSS GWARINPA ESTATE
- GSS KARSHI
- GSS ASOKORO
- GSS AIRPORT
- GSS JIKWOYI
- GSS KARSHI
- GSS PYAKASA
- GSS GWARINPA
- GSS JABI
- GSS MAITAMA
- GSS KABUSA
- GSS KARU
- GSS WUSE
- ADSS MAITAMA
- MSS MAITAMA
- GSS GIWA
- GSS APO
The second phase of the sensitization campaign will be focused on BWARI, GWAGWALADA, KUJE and KWALI Area Council