1DAY WORKSHOP ON DRUG ABUSE AND ITS PREVENTION CAMPAIGN FOR PRIVATE SCHOOL MANAGERS & PARENTS.
THEME: Drug Abuse and Its Prevention Campaign
VENUE: 2 Diorben Street, Adjacent Agric Quarters, Zone 4, Abuja
DATE: 26th August, 2021
The workshop on drug abuse and prevention was organized by PRIME UNIQUE WOMEN INITIATIVE (PUWI) in collaboration with NATIONAL DRUG LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY (NDLEA)
The workshop was aimed at achieving the following:-
- Sensitizing and addressing drug abuse and it’s prevention in secondary schools
- Educating the school managers on the effects of drug abuse on the students
The workshop was targeted on the students through the school managers and parents (Train the Trainee program)
The workshop commence with an opening ceremony herald by the convener and President of Prime Unique Women Initiative[PUWI] DR.MRS F. J. YOBAH. She welcomes all the participants and gave a keynote address and expressed her gratitude to the participants and NDLEA for their contribution in hosting the workshop.
The workshop was rich in content as the resource persons rolled out the following topic:-
- Harmful Effect of Drugs: The lecture was delivered by Mr. Gbenga [NDLEA Resource Person] He explains what constitutes drug abuse and how to avoid falling victims. He further listed dangerous and hard drugs (which include: AMPHATAMINE, BENZODIAZEPINES, TOBACO, CIGGARETTES, HEROINE, MARIJUANA and many more.) and the effect it has on victims.
- PUWI Profile: by the president of Prime Unique Women Initiative[PUWI], enlightens the participant on what the NGO is all about, the aims, objectives and vision of the organization ,the programmes they have done and the future programmes
- Counseling and Psychotherapy Approach to Drug Abuse Cessation Mr. Gbenga(NDLEA Resource Person) analyze the approaches and methods that can be use to address drug abuse, the programme.
The sensitization and training programme became necessary against the backdrop of the rising spate of crimes and criminality across many part of the country which is often linked to drug abuse.
The workshop was intended to further boost the concerted efforts of the national drug and law enforcement agency in sensitizing and addressing drug abuse and prevention in secondary school. There was a dire need to train school managers on drugs abuse, the implications, effect and preventive measures. It addresses the dangers involves in being a victim of drug abuse and the best prevention and solution to the danger is abstinence.